SMART Larkspur Extension Project
SMART has begun construction of its extension to Larkspur. The project includes a terminal station in Larkspur, three bridges and utilizes the recently (2010) rehabilitated Cal Park Tunnel that connects San Rafael and Larkspur. Signals and systems testing will be conducted following construction. SMART train service to Larkspur is projected to begin by the end of 2019.
For more information about the Larkspur Extension Project - call the Larkspur Extension Project Hotline: 800-959-8660.
- Road Closure Notice: Francisco Blvd. W. – Beginning on Thursday, July 5, Francisco Blvd. W. will be closed between 2nd St. and Rice St. as a part of SMART's construction of the Larkspur rail extension. This section of Francisco Blvd. W. will be closed through the end of 2018.
- Road Closure Notice: Auburn Street – Auburn Street will be closed 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 15, Saturday, September 22 and Sunday, September 23 during the demolition and reconstruction of the Auburn Street Bridge. Update: The work scheduled to be done on September 22 and 23 has been postponed until the weekend of September 29 and 30 due to crane scheduling issues.
- Road Closures at 2nd and 3rd Streets – Construction work on the 2nd and 3rd Street railroad crossings in San Rafael is anticipated to begin either later this fall or early next year, depending on weather and construction progress. Construction work on 2nd and 3rd Street crossings will occur over the course of one weekend each, with road closures beginning on Friday evening around 7:00 p.m. and ending the following Monday morning by 7:00 a.m. Detour signs will be prominently displayed. Stay tuned for more details as they develop.
SMART Pathway Construction Project
SMART continues to work on the construction of its multiple-use pathway system. Currently, over 15-miles of pathway segments have been built by SMART or by a local jurisdiction working in partnership with SMART – from Healdsburg to Larkspur. To view a progress map of the pathway, please click here.
SMART has completed the following segments:
- Healdsburg: Front Street to Grant Street,
- Santa Rosa: Sixth Street to Guerneville Road,
- Rohnert Park/Cotati: East Avenue to Golf Course Drive.
- Rohnert Park: Sonoma Mountain Village to the Cotati SMART Train Station,
- Southwest Santa Rosa: Hearn Avenue to Bellevue Avenue, with pathway connections to Downtown Santa Rosa SMART Station.
- Novato/Petaluma: SMART Novato San Marin Station to County Line,
- Novato: Rush Creek Place to SMART Novato San Marin Station,
- Novato: SMART Novato Hamilton Station to Hamilton Parkway,
- Novato: Franklin pedestrian crossing (near Sutter Health) to Grant Street in downtown Novato (future Novato Downtown Station),
- San Rafael: North San Pedro Road to SMART Marin Civic Center Station,
- San Rafael: Merrydale Road to Mission Avenue.
SMART is currently working on pathway between Southpoint Boulevard and Payran Street in Petaluma. The design for this section of pathway is completed and permitting is currently in progress. SMART anticipates completion of this section of pathway by the end of 2018.