SMART Pathway Construction Project
SMART was selected to receive a $12.6 million grant to fund its bicycle and pedestrian pathway project in Petaluma, Rohnert Park and Santa Rosa. SMART is currently gearing up to begin construction of the bicycle-pedestrian pathway between Payran Street to Southpoint Boulevard in Petaluma. To view a progress map of the pathway, please click here.
SMART has completed the following segments:
- Healdsburg: Front Street to Grant Street,
- Santa Rosa: Sixth Street to Guerneville Road,
- Rohnert Park/Cotati: East Avenue to Golf Course Drive.
- Rohnert Park: Sonoma Mountain Village to the Cotati SMART Train Station,
- Southwest Santa Rosa: Hearn Avenue to Bellevue Avenue, with pathway connections to Downtown Santa Rosa SMART Station.
- Novato/Petaluma: SMART Novato San Marin Station to County Line,
- Novato: Rush Creek Place to SMART Novato San Marin Station,
- Novato: SMART Novato Hamilton Station to Hamilton Parkway,
- Novato: Franklin pedestrian crossing (near Sutter Health) to Grant Street in downtown Novato (future Novato Downtown Station),
- San Rafael: North San Pedro Road to SMART Marin Civic Center Station,
- San Rafael: Merrydale Road to Mission Avenue.
At the request of the California State Transportation Agency, SMART has reviewed the technical feasibility of implementing passenger rail service between Novato and Suisun City to a connection to the Capitol Corridor passenger rail system. The Feasibility Study inventories the facilities and natural environment, develops conceptual options for rail service, provides high-level cost estimates and approximates travel times. This exciting prospect could provide a transportation alternative to those that travel the Highway 37 corridor and build upon transit connections that exist today.
The full report can be accessed here.