Windsor Extension Project
On January 2, 2020, Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) will commence with pre-construction work for the Windsor Extension project. This construction project will extend the SMART rail line from Airport Boulevard in north Santa Rosa to Windsor River Road in the Town of Windsor and includes construction of a new station platform.
The Windsor Extension project is slated to be completed in late 2021 and will include the following improvements:
- Replacement of the existing track with a new track, concrete ties, ballast, and track controls
- Reconstruction of at-grade crossings at Airport Boulevard, Aviation, Shiloh, Mitchell, and at the intersection of Windsor River Road and Windsor Road
- Construction of a 3.3 mile pedestrian and bicycle pathway
- Relocation of some underground utilities to meet current standards
- Removal of five existing wood bridges to be replaced with new concrete bridges
Right of Way Preparation: The pre-construction work includes clearing brush, trees, and vegetation within the SMART railroad right-of-way to comply with state and federal safety clearances for train operations. Tree work will be conducted between January 2 and February 1, 2020.
Also included in the pre-construction work is the removal of existing structures at 8900 Windsor Road. This property will be used for construction staging and in the future will become a parking lot to serve passengers using the SMART Windsor station.
Construction Crews and Hours of Work: SMART has contracted with Stacy & Witbeck Inc. to construct the Windsor Extension project. The tree work will be conducted by Tyrrell Resources. Hours of work will generally be 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Schedules are subject to change based on weather conditions.