April 30, 2020
Construction work on the Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit District (SMART) Windsor Extension project is slated to resume on Monday, May 4, 2020. In compliance with local public health ordinances restricting this type of work, construction activity had been temporarily suspended since early April. As construction work on this project resumes next week, the field crews and contractors will continue to comply with all public health directives.
This construction project will extend the SMART rail line from Airport Boulevard in north Santa Rosa to Windsor River Road, providing passenger rail service to the Town of Windsor and will include the construction of a new station platform.
Beginning on Monday, May 4, work will resume on the Windsor Extension project with the following activities:
- Resumption of the removal of the old railroad track and other track materials in preparation for rebuilding the new railroad track. This work is slated to be completed by the end of May.
- Clearing the right-of-way of vegetation in preparation for construction of the new railroad track and installation of new drainage infrastructure.
- Replacement of bridges will begin in mid-June and will be ongoing through mid-October. Bridgework may also include the removal of some trees to clear space for the bridge installations.
- Delivery of concrete railroad ties will continue through mid-May. Railroad ties are being stockpiled along the rail alignment near the areas where the ties will be installed as the new track is constructed. To date, 8,100 ties (out of 11,000 ties) have been delivered.
FUN FACT: 969 tons of steel rail will be utilized as part of the Windsor Extension project.
CONSTRUCTION WORK HOURS: Hours of work will generally be 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Some work may need to occur at night to accommodate construction schedules. All schedules are subject to change based on weather conditions.
TOWN OF WINDSOR CONSTRUCTION: The Town of Windsor is also conducting a related construction project in preparation for building a new roundabout at the intersection of Windsor Road and Windsor River Road. This work includes removal of the old railroad track and relocating utilities underground. This work is slated to continue through early August 2020.
April 7, 2020
NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 health crisis, construction activity has been temporarily suspended until the shelter in place order has been lifted. However, delivery of concrete rail ties will continue through the end of the month to accommodate the freight delivery schedule on the national freight railway system.
March 25, 2020
In early January, pre-construction work commenced for the Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit District (SMART) Windsor Extension project. This construction project will extend the SMART rail line from Airport Boulevard in north Santa Rosa to Windsor River Road, providing passenger rail service to the Town of Windsor and will include construction of a new station platform.
The project is slated to be completed by late 2021, with passenger service to the Town of Windsor beginning soon thereafter.
SMART has contracted with Stacy and Witbeck, Inc. to construct the Windsor Extension project which will include the following improvements:
- Replacement of the existing track with a new track, concrete ties, ballast, and track controls
- Reconstruction of at-grade crossings at Airport Boulevard, Aviation, Shiloh, Mitchell, and at the intersection of Windsor River Road and Windsor Road
- Construction of a 3.3-mile pedestrian and bicycle pathway
- Relocation of underground utilities to meet current standards
- Removal of five existing wood bridges to be replaced with new concrete bridges
Construction Activity Update:
Clearing vegetation within the railroad right-of-way is being done to comply with state and federal safety clearances for train operations. Vegetation work is ongoing and should be completed by mid-May, including the removal of all debris.
Removal of the old railroad track and other track materials in preparation for rebuilding the new railroad track is ongoing and is slated to be completed by the end of April.
The replacement of bridges will begin in mid-June and will be ongoing through September. Bridgework will also include the removal of some additional trees to clear space for the new bridges.
Delivery of the concrete railroad ties begins this week and will continue through mid-May. Railroad ties will be stockpiled along the rail alignment near the areas where they will be installed. Freight trains will deliver the concrete railroad ties on Thursday nights, with off-loading of railroad ties occurring during daytime work hours.
Fun Fact: 38 railroad cars will deliver approximately 11,000 railroad ties for the Windsor Extension project.
Construction Work Hours:
Hours of work will generally be 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Some work may be done at night to accommodate construction schedules. All schedules are subject to change based on weather conditions.
If you would like more information, please visit the Windsor Extension webpage or contact us via email at info@SonomaMarinTrain.org. On the project webpage, you will find project details. Please share this email with friends and neighbors and encourage them to subscribe to receive email updates about the Windsor Extension project.